Picture Perfect Moments

Sunday, December 31, 2006

James Brown

James Brown has always been a part of my life. When I was a little girl we used to ride around town looking at Christmas lights and my dad would always save James Brown's house for last. I don't really remember the other lights or houses, but I definately remember his! James Brown's yard would be covered in all kinds of lights and at the very center of it all was a black santa claus. I had never seen a black santa before and I spent the next several years trying to stay up late so that I could see if Santa was black or white. As an adult I know that Santa comes in all shapes, sizes and colors, but as a white child in the early seventies I was mesmorized.
Later, my dad had the opportunity to redecorate some of the rooms in James Brown's house. I can see my dad sitting at the sewing machine making curtains that were made out of an animal print...zebra, I think....but what I really remember is how honored my dad was to be making them, and how ugly I thought they were! I was in my pink phase and thought everyone wanted pink curtains!:} I went with my dad for the final walk through of James Brown's house and I even sat at his dining room table and ate chocolate ice cream with one of his daughters. It was one of the highlights of my childhood.
More recently, I ran into James Brown at the local Fed Ex office. He autographed a picture for Katie. That was pretty cool, too.
I have read that Mr. Brown left his sick bed to distribute presents to needy children in Augusta shortly before he died. It does not surprise me one bit. I was very saddend by the fact that he died on Christmas Day. He meant a lot to so many people.
I didn't attend the funeral. I was out of town. I wouldn't have gone anyway because I don't like crowds or funerals. I understand that the James Brown arena holds 8100 people and that there were many standing outside because it was filled to capacity.
I choose to simply remember him fondly at Christmas...as I have for many years already, and I choose to believe that if he needs his mansion decorated in Heaven that he will look up my dad for the job :}

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home