Picture Perfect Moments

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act

I have been putting off blogging about The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act ( aka CPSIA) because I am so tired of thinking about it. At first I was in denial that it would affect my business...then I was really angry which quickly turned into really depressed and then angry and depressed at the same time! I stomped my feet and shook my fist in the air and cursed the fact that the biz I've been nurturing for 10 years was circling the drain! I monitored forums like the fashion incubator and I read and re read the law until my eyes crossed trying to figure out exactly what I needed to do to survive. The answers were just about as clear as mud!

As a mother and as a business owner that produces children's products I am very concerned about the amount of lead in the items that our children come in contact with on a daily basis. I believe that there needs to be reform and I believe that the levels of lead need to be monitored closely. The CPSIA was written with good intentions, but as my grandmother will tell you, the road to hell is paved with good intentions! The CPSIA needs some serious "tweaking" to make it workable for the long haul, period. After August 2009, the standards and approved testing methods will be changing and it may very well make it so that it is impossible to afford the testing without passing the cost on to our consumers. It is very doubtful that anyone will want to pay $150 for a $5 hair bow !

I could go on for hours about my opinion on the CPSIA but frankly I just do not have the energy. I am tired of talking about it, thinking about, dreaming about it, and wishing it away. It is not going to go away or be reformed any time soon so the only choice I have is to comply with the law as it is currently written. It does not mean that I have to like it :}

I do encourage you, however, to take the time to read a very interesting blog entry by The Domestic Diva. She explains in simple terms the impact of this law much better than I ever could! She also provides all of the important links to pertinent sites and pulls it together in a way that makes sense.

As a consumer, the CPSIA will also have a huge impact on you. Choices will be limited, product availability will be lost and or limited, one of a kind items may become a thing of the past due to the destructive testing process, handmade items will eventually disappear, thrift store shops will be too afraid of the penalties to resell used children's products and the list goes on....just trust me when I say that it is worth your time and effort to research this new law because it does affect you in a big way!

Many people would also be surprised to know some of the items that get recalled because of high lead content. Click here to view some of the recent recalls.

Please rest assured that the products that Picture Perfect Hair Bows sells are safe. On February 10th we will be in compliance with the new law as it is currently written and we will be including all of the necessary paperwork for our wholesale customers. We are already using a third party testing facility and have worked closely with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to insure that our testing program meets with their standards.

If you have any questions or concerns please dont hesitate to contact me! My door is pretty much always open!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home